The Reason for This Training Program
This training program was the outcome of a domestic violence homicide that occurred in Centre County on November 8, 2001. The homicide was reviewed in 2004 by the Centre County Fatality Review Committee, a committee that meets on a regular basis to review all domestic violence related homicides that occur in Centre County. The Committee created profiles of the victim and the defendant, her husband, based on information collected by the State College Police Department and interviews with friends and relatives who had contact with either the victim or the defendant prior to the murder. The victim's parents, her co-workers, law enforcement officers, and court personnel met to share their perspectives on what happened in the weeks, months, and years leading up to her death.
Training Program Goals
- Increase awareness and understanding of domestic violence and how if affects people at home and work
- Increase opportunities for participants to access resources
- Increase knowledge about how to best support abused employees in the workplace
- Educate participants about best workplace responses to domestic violence
- Motivate participants to get involved and become part of the solution at work and in the community